|Notification of Regulatory Change|
|Effective January 1, 2023|
The Nevada Division of Environmental Protection (NDEP), Certification Program is notifying all applicants and holders of certifications subject to Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) §459.970-459.97295 titled “Certification of Certain Consultants and Contractors” that regulatory changes proposed in 2022 were adopted by the State Environmental Commission on September 28, 2022 and promulgated by NDEP effective January 1, 2023. (NAC459_970_Revision.pdf)
The adopted revisions:
• Increase the application and renewal fees of all certificates subject to the above cited regulation as follows:
|Revised Fee*||Environmental Manager||UST Handler||UST Tester||UST Trainer|
*Effective Jan. 1, 2023
N/A (Not Applicable)
- Modifies the minimum qualifications required of Environmental Manager (NAC 459.972(3)); and
- Adds continuing education requirement for Environmental Managers of a minimum 24 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to be completed during the preceding two years prior to certification renewal and submit to NDEP sufficient proof of the completion of this ongoing education requirement. (NAC 459.9728(5))
The CEM exam will be held at the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection (NDEP) in the Bryan Building at 901 S Stewart St, Carson City, NV. Please follow the below deadlines:
Exam application submittal deadline: 3/28/2023
Exam registration deadline: 4/4/2023
CEM Exam date: 4/18/2023
If you were unable to take the last exam or need to retake the exam, please register as soon as possible.
The State of Nevada requires that certain activities, such as underground storage tank handling and hazardous waste management, be conducted by certified professionals. NDEP’s Certification Program evaluates and certifies professionals to conduct these activities based on their experience, training, integrity, and competence in their fields. Once certified, the general public can confidently retain their services.
We offer the following certifications: Certified Environmental Manager, Underground Tank Handlers, Underground Tank Testers, and ABC Operator Trainers.
- Are you interested in hiring a certified professional? Refer to our List of Certified Individuals.
- Do you want to become a certified professional? Learn more and apply using the navigation pane on the right.
- Are you already certified and need to update your contact information? Update your profile in the Certification Database.
What is a Certified Environmental Manager?
An Environmental Manager is a person certified to act as a consultant for:
- The management of hazardous waste;
- The investigation of a site to determine the release or potential release of a hazardous substance;
- The sampling of air, soil, surface water or groundwater to determine the release of a hazardous substance;
- The response to a release of a hazardous substance;
- The cleanup of a release of a hazardous substance; or
- The remediation of water or soil contaminated by a hazardous substance.
NAC 459.9704 (NRS 459.485, 459.500)
What is an Underground Storage Tank Handler?
An Underground Storage Tank Handler is a person certified to install, repair, upgrade or close underground storage tanks.
NAC 459.9705 (NRS 459.485, 459.500)
What is an Underground Storage Tank Tester?
An Underground Storage Tank Tester is a person certified to test the tightness of underground storage tanks.
NAC 459.9715 (NRS 459.485, 459.500)
What is an ABC Operator Trainer?
An ABC Operator Trainer is a person certified to train and evaluate Class A, Class B, or Class C operators for their knowledge of Underground Storage Tank systems and their requirements.
40 CFR 280, Subpart J NAC 459.99396 (NRS 459.826)