Certified Underground Storage Tank Handler

A person must be a certified Underground Storage Tank Handler (UTH) before installing, repairing, upgrading or closing a regulated underground storage tank (UST) for a fee. 
(NAC 459.970459.9729)

If you are interested in hiring a certified UTH, refer to our List of Certified Individuals.

Become a certified UTH
To become a certified UTH, follow the steps below:

Am I qualified to become a certified UTH?
To become a certified UTH, you must meet and/or submit the following requirements:

  • Two years of relevant work experience;
  • Participation in at least 10 projects related to the handling of USTs;
  • A copy of an appropriate license from the state contractor’s board (A, AB, A22 (specified), B, C28 or B4);
  • Proof of passing the International Council Code’s (ICC) exams on UST Installation/Retrofitting and UST Decommissioning*;
  • Proof of completion of a course on the safe handling of USTs, such as OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER or Refresher, courses by PETCON, or other courses approved by NDEP;
  • Three letters of recommendation; and
  • A statement declaring the details of any pleas of guilty or nolo contendere in any criminal proceeding and of any conviction of a crime.
    *To date, the ICC examinations are the only exams accepted by NDEP. 

Do Tank Handlers need to complete a training course in the safe handling of USTs?
Yes.  The following are examples of the type of courses accepted by NDEP:

  • Petcon: (800) 852-8374, Contact: Alex Ralston
    A Contractor’s Guide to UST Closures; How to Install Underground Fuel Storage Tanks & Piping; 8-Hour Refresher Course for UST Sites
  • State OSHA/Fire Marshal: 40-Hour OSHA/HAZWOPER (29 CFR 1910.120)

If you would like to take another course that may fulfill the safety training requirement, contact NDEP at cert_info@ndep.nv.gov for review and approval before taking the course.

Can Tank Handlers perform confirmation soil samples during a tank pull?
Yes. (NAC 459.9972) Handlers may take the samples as required in 40 CFR 280 subpart G, as part of the tank closure process, one sample on each end of UST.  However, if a reportable quantity of contamination, as defined in Nevada regulations (Ref: NAC 445A.347), exists in the excavation then sampling must be conducted by a CEM.  Correct sampling protocol must be followed.  Petcon offers basic sampling courses in combination with safety training courses.  Samples must be sent to a Nevada Certified Laboratory.  For additional information contact: Petcon at (800) 852-8374.

How long will my certification last?
Your certification is valid for two years.  Six weeks before your certification expires, complete and submit a UTH Renewal Application and Application Fee.  If certification lapses, you cannot legally continue to provide services in the State of Nevada.  It is the responsibility of the certification holder to apply for renewal in a timely manner.

Does Nevada accept reciprocity from any other State?
No. You must be certified by NDEP as a Certified Underground Storage Tank Handler to provide services within the State of Nevada.  No exceptions.  

Contact Us
Please refer any questions to NDEP Bureau of Corrective Actions, Certification Program.

Phone: (775) 687-9368
Email:  cert_info@ndep.nv.gov

Newsletter Signup: Water Pollution

Success! Thank you for signing up. Check your email to complete your subscription.