Certified Underground Storage Tank Tester

A person must be a certified Underground Storage Tank Tester (UTT) before testing the tightness of an Underground Storage Tank (UST) for a fee.
(NAC 459.970459.9729)

If you are interested in hiring a certified UTT, refer to our List of Certified Individuals.

Become a certified UTT
To become a certified UTT, follow the steps below:

Am I qualified to become a certified UTT?
To become a certified UTT, you must meet and/or submit the following requirements:

  • One year of relevant work experience;
  • Direct participation in at least 50 tests of USTs;
  • Proof of passing the International Council Code’s (ICC) exams* on UST Tank Tightness;
  • Proof of completion of a course on the safe handling of USTs, such as OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER or Refresher, courses by PETCON, or other courses approved by NDEP;
  • Proof of training required by equipment manufacturers;
  • Three letters of recommendation; and
  • A statement declaring the details of any pleas of guilty or nolo contendere in any criminal proceeding and of any conviction of a crime.
    * To date, the ICC examination is the only one accepted by NDEP.

Do Tank Testers need to complete a training course in the safe handling of USTs?
Yes.  The following are examples of the type of courses accepted by NDEP:

  • Petcon: (800) 852-8374, Contact: Alex Ralston
    A Contractor’s Guide to UST Closures; How to Install Underground Fuel Storage Tanks & Piping; 8-Hour Refresher Course for UST Sites
  • State OSHA/Fire Marshal: 40-Hour OSHA/HAZWOPER (29 CFR 1910.120)

If you would like to take another course that may fulfill the safety training requirement, contact NDEP at cert_info@ndep.nv.gov for review and approval before taking the course.

Who can perform testing for tightness of underground tanks and associated piping, for a fee, in Nevada?
An Underground Storage Tank Tester certified by NDEP.

How long will my certification last?
Your certification is valid for two years.  Six weeks before your certification expires, complete and submit a UTT Renewal Application and Application Fee.  If certification lapses, you cannot legally continue to provide services in the State of Nevada.  It is the responsibility of the certification holder to apply for renewal in a timely manner.

Does Nevada accept reciprocity from any other State?
No. You must be certified by NDEP as a Certified Underground Storage Tank Tester to provide services within the State of Nevada.  No exceptions.  

Contact Us
Please refer any questions to NDEP Bureau of Corrective Actions, Certification Program.

Phone: (775) 687-9368
Email:  cert_info@ndep.nv.gov

Newsletter Signup: Water Pollution

Success! Thank you for signing up. Check your email to complete your subscription.