PFAS Action Plan
This webpage provides information on the development and implementation of Nevada’s PFAS Action Plan. All meetings, documents, and correspondence will be available on this webpage throughout the plan's development process.
Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are a class of emerging contaminants consisting of fluorinated compounds that are more than several thousand chemicals. Due to the widespread use of some PFAS in consumer and commercial applications including firefighting foams and stain repellants for clothing and carpets, these chemicals are being detected in drinking water supplies, groundwater, surface water, landfill leachate, and air. In light of new scientific information on these chemicals' health effects, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued an interim updated Health Advisory for perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) of 0.004 parts per trillion (ppt) and for perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS) of 0.02 parts per trillion (ppt) in 2022, replacing those issued in 2016. EPA published a PFAS Strategic Roadmap in 2021, which lays out likely further actions from federal regulatory agencies. EPA announced the issuance of a proposed PFAS regulation in March of 2023.
Assembly Bill (AB) 97, passed in 2021, called for the establishment of a working group to study issues relating to environmental contamination resulting from PFAS in Nevada. The Nevada Division of Environmental Protection (NDEP) addressed this requirement through the development of a Working Group composed of representatives of interested state and local public agencies, labor organizations, community organizations and trade associations to support the development of the PFAS Action Plan for the State of Nevada.
The PFAS Working Group is tasked with:
- Evaluating the potential for environmental contamination in the State resulting from PFAS;
- Determining the location and extent of potentially significant discharges or releases of PFAS in the State;
- Compiling information relating to existing federal, State and local actions and identify data gaps to monitor, contain and clean up environmental contamination resulting from PFAS;
- Determining the potential points of exposure to PFAS for residents of the State; and
- Development of recommendations for state and local action to prevent releases, monitor drinking water sources, and contain and clean up environmental contamination resulting from PFAS.
Working Group Membership:
The PFAS Working Group is made up of representatives from:
- Academia (UNR, UNLV, DRI)
- Aviation (Clark County Dept. of Aviation, Reno – Tahoe Airport Authority)
- Certified Environmental Managers
- Certified Drinking Water/Wastewater Operators (from 9 of 17 counties)
- County Government (CCWRD, CCRFCD, SNHD, WCHD, WRWC)
- Contractors (Broadbent, GHD, Resource Concepts, Inc.)
- Environmental Groups (Sierra Club, Nevada Conservation League)
- Federal Agencies (DoD, USGS)
- Labor Organizations (Nevada Mining Assoc., PFFN)
- Laboratory Community (Eurofins, DRI)
- Municipal Government (SNWA, TMWA)
- Nevada Air National Guard
- State Agencies (NDEP, NDOT, NDOA, DCNR, DHHS)
- Trade Groups (Air & Waste Mgmt., American Chem Council, Nv Water Env. Assoc., NvRWA, Western States Petroleum Assoc.)
Membership in the PFAS Working Group is open to all interested persons. If you would like to participate, please communicate with the PFAS Action Plan Contract Monitor using the contact information at the bottom of this page.
PFAS Action Plan Timeline:
- First Working Group Meeting (virtually via Zoom) - 1/26/2022
- Working Group Review of 50% Draft PFAS Action Plan - 3/9/2022
- Second Working Group Meeting (virtually via Zoom) - 3/16/2022
- Final Working Group Meeting (virtually via Zoom) - 4/22/2022
- Working Group Review of 75% Draft PFAS Action Plan - 4/27/2022
- Draft Final PFAS Action Plan to Working Group for review - 6/2/2022
- Working Group Review of Draft Final PFAS Action Plan due 6/22/2022.
- Final PFAS Action Plan - 6/30/2022
PFAS Action Plan:
- A summary of the Nevada PFAS Action Plan can be found here.
- A copy of the FINAL PFAS Action Plan can be found here.
Documents for Review:
The Working Group was asked to review PFAS action plans from three other states and provide best and worst practices contained therein. The plans being reviewed are:
- Developing innovative treatment technologies for PFAS-containing wastes (2022)
- Combustion of C1 and C2 PFAS: Kinetic modeling and experiments (2022)
- Multi-Industry PFAS Study - 2021 Preliminary Report
- Investigating PFAS Ocurrence in the Environment: EPA ORD Collaborative Projects with States and Tribes (2021)
- Perfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) in Surface Water and Sediments from Two Urban Watersheds in Nevada, USA (2021)
- Final Results of Investigation of Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in Off-Base Drinking Water - NAS Fallon (2019)
- Occurrence of Perfluoroalkyl Carboxylates and Sulfonates in Drinking Water Utilities and Realated Waters from the United States (2009)
- Processes & Considerations for Setting State PFAS Standards (2022)
- Assessment of PFAS Fate, Transport, and Treatment Inhibition Associated with Simulated AFFF Releases within a Wastewater Treatment Plant (2021)
Use the link above to ask questions or provide comments to the Nevada PFAS Working Group.