Individual permits - NPDES, state permits

Types of Regulated Discharges

  • Treated wastewater from publicly owned treatment works
  • Effluent from independent package plants
  • Storage ponds (non-hazardous)
  • Rapid Infiltration Basins (RIB)
  • Onsite Septic Disposal Systems (OSDS)
  • Re-use of treated wastewaters and other processed waters
  • Blow down water from power plants and waters from industrial processes
  • Dewatering
  • Working in waterways
  • Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)
  • Others activities generating water disposals or discharges to waters of the State

Permit Applications An appropriate permit application and applicable fees must be completed and submitted to NDEP before a technical review will commence. Please refer the table at the bottom of this page for guidance, application forms, and requirements.

Water Pollution Control (WPC) E-Permitting System - In an effort to improve our service to the public, NDEP has developed an electronic process for submitting permit applications. By selecting WPC e-Permitting System, the applicant will be directed to the registration/sign-in page. Please register (sign-in) and complete the application on-line, print and sign the certification letter, then mail it to NDEP with the appropriate application fee(s).

  • Submit application electronically: WPC e-Permitting System
  • If unable to submit application on-line, please contact the BWPC at (775) 687-9418 for assistance.

Permits Types covered The WPC e-Permitting System covers individual NDPES and WPC permits only. Please refer to the Underground Injection Control Program website for information related to UIC permits and coverage.

Permit Terms Permits are effective for five years and require submittal of quarterly reports to NDEP. The reporting requirements and permit limitations will be listed in the discharge permit. Typical permit requirements include flow monitoring of the effluent via an acceptable measuring device (flume, weir, magnetic meter, etc.) and sampling of the effluent. Additional constituent monitoring may be required at the Division's discretion.

Pretreatment Requirements Publicly owned treatment works (POTWs) collect wastewater from homes, commercial buildings, and industrial facilities and transport it via a series of pipes, known as a collection system, to the treatment plant. POTW removes harmful organisms and other contaminants from the sewage so it can be discharged safely into the receiving stream.

Generally, POTWs are designed to treat domestic sewage only. However, POTWs also receive wastewater from industrial (non-domestic) users. Pretreatment may be required from non-domestic dischargers. Pretreatment Standards are intended to control pollutants from the industrial users which may pass through or interfere with POTW treatment processes or which may contaminate sewage sludge. Of note, the Pretreatment Program is regulated by the US Environmental Protection Agency and not NDEP.

Forms and Guidance

The tables below list forms, guidance documents, and instructions for the NPDES and WPC individual permits. Specific application forms have been incorporated into the WPC e-Permitting System. By selecting "Online" next to the forms, the applicant will be directed to the registration/sign-in page. If unable to submit application on-line, please contact the BWPC at (775) 687-9418 for paper versions of the online forms.

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and Other Discharge Permits

For facilities that discharge to surface waters, Nevada uses the Federal NPDES Discharge Permit Program forms and requirements.

Form DescriptionRevisionFormat 

Discharge Permits Overview document

2017​ ​​ ​​


Program forms for permitting, reporting, and fee schedules are located on the Permit Forms & Fees tab

  --   -- 

Water Technical Sheet (WTS) and other documents are on our Publications and Technical Guidance page.  




Newsletter Signup: Water Pollution

Success! Thank you for signing up. Check your email to complete your subscription.