How to Handle a Small Mercury Spill
DO turn off ventilating or air conditioning system and open windows and doors that vent to the outdoors.
- DO set aside everything you think might be contaminated with mercury.
- DO immediately remove children from the area.
- DO make sure to avoid skin contact by wearing gloves when handling spill.
- DO clean up the silver mercury beads by using one sheet of paper to carefully roll them onto a second sheet of paper, or use an eye dropper to collect it all.
- DO place the mercury into a sealable container, such as a plastic bag or any available airtight container.
- DON'T try to soak it up with a towel or rag to remove.
- DON'T use household cleaning products to clean the spill, particularly products that contain ammonia or chlorine.
- DON'T vacuum carpeted floors contaminated with liquid mercury.
- If unsure of what to do at anytime during the spill call the NDEP Spill Reporting Hotline at 888-331-6637.
- For all other mercury disposal concerns contact the Recycling Hotline at 1-800-597-5865.