The projects described below were approved for Nevada Brownfields Program funding and are in the process of conducting assessment or remediation activities.
William N. Pennington Life Center (Churchill County Senior Center)
Churchill County is receiving a subgrant from the Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) for the purpose of:
- Conducting four quarterly groundwater monitoring events, beginning in the second quarter of 2018, to characterize benzene concentrations;
- Completing a Final Report and;
- Properly closing and abandoning the three groundwater monitoring wells.
Henderson Redevelopment Agency sites
The City of Henderson (Clark County) initially received funding from the Nevada Brownfields Program in 2015 to conduct Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) to evaluate two sites’ suitability for redevelopment. Since 2015, Phase I ESAs have been completed on five sites. These sites are located within the City’s Downtown Redevelopment Area (RDA) and are high priorities for mixed-use redevelopment. Two additional sites are currently receiving Nevada Brownfields Program funding to conduct Phase I ESAs:
- The site comprises five parcels over 0.9 acres. Three of the parcels are developed with a gravel parking lot and two parcels are developed as a single-story restaurant. The site was previously developed with single-family residential structures between the 1950s and 2007.
- The site comprises three parcels over 0.5 acres. The site is currently developed with an asphalt parking lot and temporary office building for the City of Henderson. The site was previously developed with single-family residential structures between the 1950s and 1998.
City of Wells Mixed Use Redevelopment Sites
The City of Wells (Elko County) has established a new RDA to provide tax and other incentives to developers and new businesses in order to promote redevelopment. The City of Wells received funding from the Nevada Brownfields Program to assess sites for environmental contamination and suitability for redevelopment. If interested in exploring redevelopment opportunities on these properties, please contact Jolene Supp, Wells City Manager, at 775-752-3355 or email@example.com.
- The 8.5 acre property comprises a single-story commercial office building, storage structure, and undeveloped land.
- A Phase I ESA was performed in May 2018, which recommended that a Phase II ESA be performed on the property to conduct groundwater sampling and an asbestos survey of the building material prior to demolition.
- The 0.7 acre property comprises a single-story commercial auto repair shop building and parking area.
- A Phase I ESA was performed in May 2018, which recommended that a Phase II ESA be performed on the property to assess the possible impacts from the auto repair business and conduct an asbestos survey of the building materials prior to demolition.