McGill Water System Improvement Project
The unincorporated town of McGill is located approximately 12 miles northeast of Ely on Highway 50/93 in White Pine County. The town of McGill was constructed and completed by Consolidated Copper around 1920. The copper mine's ore processing facilities were located in McGill due to the abundant water supply from Duck Creek. Consolidated Copper sold their holdings in McGill to Kennecott Copper in 1939. Kennecott divested its residential land holdings to private citizens in 1962 through the John W. Galbreath Company. Galbreath platted lots and blocks, sold them, and operated the water and sewer systems until the condition and poor economy forced Galbreath to turn over the water and water utility to White Pine County. In 1984, the County formed an NRS 318 General Improvement District to operate the water and sewer systems of McGill and Ruth. Since 1984, the District has spent over $5 million on the water systems of Ruth and McGill.
The McGill-Ruth Consolidated Water and Sewer General Improvement District applied for a grant under the AB 198 program to assist with a water system improvement project. The grant was approved by the Board for Financing Water Projects on September 19, 2002, for $476,018 (61.5% of the total eligible project cost of $774,013).
The project was delayed pending the completion of a sewer improvement project and was further delayed awaiting a resolution on water rights from the State Engineer prior to commencing installation of the well. The well and meters are complete and the old town well has been properly abandoned. The system was turned over to the owners in December 2006.