NDEP Programs & Services
Public Information
& More
NDEP Unique
Websites
Financial
Assistance
NDEP
Online Sevices
Agency Contact
Info.
More About
NDEP

Loading
  Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) Back DoD Home Page    Back BCA Home Page   

DoD is responsible for cleaning up properties that were formerly owned, leased, possessed, or operated by DoD; such properties are known as Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS). See US Map of all FUD Sites (GA0 -09/05/01)

Former Stead Air Force Base - This site was first developed during World War II as the Reno Army Air Base and encompassed approximately 20,000 acres in Lemmon Valley north of Reno. During the late 1940's and 1950's it was used by the Nevada Air National Guard and the U.S. Air Force. Following use by the U.S. Air Force, acreage from the original base was gradually sold or deeded to various parties between 1968 and the present.

After 1968, the base was used as a military training facility for the National Guard, a light aircraft airport (the Reno Stead Airport), for light industrial activities, research and development (University of Nevada, Reno), warehousing and manufacturing. Several sites of environmental concern have been identified in recent years, they include, but are not limited to: the Stead Solvent Site, the Dermody Landfill, the Leareno Landfill, the Suspected Former Fire Training Area, the American Heating Oil Company, various underground storage tank and petroleum pipeline sites, and the NVARNG site.

Contaminants detected variously in soils and groundwater include chlorinated solvents, total petroleum hydrocarbons, and petroleum degradation products. Sites which may have been impacted by military activities are undergoing a preliminary assessment under the Installation Restoration Program. In a separate study, a solvent plume detected in groundwater in the western portion of the former base is being investigated under the regulatory oversight of the Bureau of Corrective Actions



Tonopah Army Air Field - This World War II era facility located 8 miles east of Tonopah, Nevada was used for training B-24 and B-25 bomber crews. Improvements made at the site included runways, barracks, mess halls, a hospital, and maintenance and hanger buildings. The airfield was deactivated and sold in 1946 and presently serves as Tonopah's municipal airport. Several of the original structures remain standing and are being used by various individuals for storage. Investigations have revealed the presence of underground storage tanks, associated piping, and sludge pits in the area. Additionally, the existence of unexploded ordinance and debris from exploded ordinance is being evaluated at a nearby bombing range that is associated with the former air field. Recently, underground storage tanks and oil pits were removed from the site and soil samples were collected to test for the presence of petroleum hydrocarbons. NDEP continues to provide regulatory oversight of ongoing work being performed at the site.

Related Information:  GAO Report to Congressional Requeters
July 2001
ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINATION
Cleanup Actions at
Formerly Used Defense Sites
GAO-01-557

Nevada Privacy Policy