In January 2002, Nye County submitted an application for Brownfields funding to assist in removing a number of contaminants found at this site. The site itself is a 1700-acre airport facility that was established in World War II for training aircraft crewman.
Contamination found on site includes petroleum contaminated soils, a number of abandoned underground storage tank systems, a spent munitions casing pile, and an old landfill. The underground storage tank systems were removed and petroleum contaminated soils found throughout the site were excavated and disposed of properly. Spent munitions casings and clips were removed along with a 4 inch layer of topsoil in the immediate area. Nearby areas were searched and cleaned as needed. The landfill was properly capped and tested to be sure leaching could not harm groundwater. Following the completion of these steps, the project was closed in 2003.